Foreign persons generally require foreign investment approval before acquiring an interest in agricultural land where the cumulative value of their agricultural land holdings exceeds (or would exceed with the proposed investment) $15 million.
Within this guidance note you will find further information on agricultural land and the topics below:
- Definition of agricultural land
- Meaning of primary production business
- Concept of ‘could reasonably be used for’ a primary production business
- When does a proposed investment in agricultural land require approval?
- Monetary thresholds for agricultural land investments
- Australian opportunities requirement: an open and transparent sale process
- Exemption certificates for agricultural land