Residential Land

Word download217.88 KB
PDF download532.75 KB

A foreign person seeking to acquire an interest in residential land must apply for foreign investment approval before taking the action. Applications are submitted electronically on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website, and are supported by further guidance. A fee is payable for all foreign investment applications.

Within this guidance note you will find further information on residential land and the topics below:

  • When does a proposed investment in residential land require approval?
  • Acquisitions of vacant residential land
  • Acquisitions of new (and near-new) dwellings
  • Property developers, and acquisitions of new (and near-new) dwellings
  • Established dwelling as residence for temporary residents
  • Established dwelling for redevelopment
  • Established dwellings for Australian based employees
  • Vacancy fee 
  • Integrated Tourism Resorts – grandfathered treatment of residential land