Reporting to the Foreign Investment Review Board
On this page:
If reporting is required to FIRB under the conditions of a foreign investment approval, or for any other reasons, reports should be provided as follows.
Business or non-residential real estate
Reports should be provided to firstname.lastname@example.org, and should clearly indicate the foreign investment approval number.
Reports on compliance with any tax conditions should have regard to the template in the guidance note on tax conditions [GN47].
Reports on Exemption Certificates should be collated in the Exemption Certificate Report.
Residential Real Estate
Complete the Land Registration form if:
- you have purchased a property
- you have sold your property or
- there is a change in your ‘foreign person’ status (for example, you obtained citizenship or are now a permanent resident)
Foreign owners of Australian residential real estate must lodge an Annual vacancy fee return, declaring the use of their property in the previous 12 month period (known as the vacancy year). Complete an annual vacancy fee return if you are a foreign person who has settled on your property acquisition and:
- made a foreign investment application for residential property after 7.30pm Australian Eastern Standard Time on 9 May 2017
- purchased a dwelling with a New Dwelling Exemption Certificate that was applied for by a developer after 7.30pm Australian Eastern Standard Time on 9 May 2017.
New Dwelling Exemption Certificates – Developer Reporting
Collate your report, which includes all of the information requested in the New Dwelling Exemption Certificate Report, and send to:
Pre-1 December 2015 advanced-off-the-plan reports should continue to be provided to email@example.com.